Habeneros, yogurt and tears.

One of the successful things I grew this summer was
Habanero
peppers. They took forever to mature, but they were well worth it. There is something special about a Habanero, a warm, satisfying heat as opposed to other peppers that blow your mouth out with out adding any ambiance to a dish.
Well, although I have cooked with Habaneros many times, I think the home grown variety may be more potent. I had decided to make hot sauce and freeze it for winter chili. For some bizarre reason it seemed a good idea to roast the peppers on the stove, in the process smearing my hands fire juice. Now I did not do anything like stick my finger in my eye or other pertinent places, I just touched my cheeks. Very unpleasant experience. Much burning and sadness. Todd suggested that I splash milk on my face, no help. Then, thinking scientifically, I smeared baking soda all over my face. Gritty, but also no help.
Then the epiphany. Yogurt.

So upon applying thickly, much relieved, I returned to cooking.














That was when the tears began.


Dimitri was horrified. He acted as though I had horrid clown makeup on. I had to leave the room. Dimitri kept pointing at me and sticking his lip out all evening. Todd thought this was hilarious. Needless to say that my face burned for a full day afterward. Sauce was good though.

Habanero
Ginger Hot Sauce
.

1 Habanero, whole
4 or more cloves garlic
one whole ginger root
2 cups Apple Cider
3 tablespoons Hone2 tablespoons vinegar
pinch salt
maybe a little lime.

Blend until smooth. Heat to combine flavors and reduce slightly. do not overcook or flavor will not be bright.
mine made 2 jars and a bunch of ice cubes.

































No comments: